Thursday, July 31, 2008

A trip to Gotham

Ever since the early days of my childhood superheroes have been part of my life. Two classic heroes have been with me the longest: Superman and Batman. The moving image was the first medium that acquainted me with these pillars of the DC Comics universe. The campy Batman series of the 1960s starring Adam West and Burt Ward started my love of the Caped Crusader, whereas the 70s Superman film and the 40s tv serial gave the Man of Steel a place in my heart. Of course the other heroes of the DC and Marvel universes, such as Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Flash, Thor, Iron Man, Green Lantern, the Hulk, Aqua Man, Daredevil and the X-men are no strangers to me, thanks to spending a year in America and having friends at school that collected comics. However, the alter egos of Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent remain firm favourites. As such one cannot miss the new Batman flic, The Dark Knight. Tonight I'll be experiencing the grittiness of Gotham and the tourtured soul and split-personality of the playboy-billionaire in IMAX glory: 164 m2 of screen and 14,000 watts of digital sound. A review will follow.....

No comments: